8 tips for outdoor living this Spring and Summer
As it’s warming up, we can feel Summer approaching, and one of the best ways to make the most of the warm weather is by spending time outdoors. We’re seeing more and more creative ways to decorate and design an outdoor space, so we’ve decided to put together our top eight trends and tips for decorating an outdoor living area.
1. When designing an outdoor living space, it’s best to think of it as a room indoors, because with all the fabrics and accessories available for outdoor wear it’s easy to create any look you want.You can find upholstery, cushions, all sorts of tables and homewares all durable enough for outdoor use, so don’t be shy!
2. Your outdoor living area is likely to be used as a transition between the indoors and outdoors, so make sure you decorate accordingly. Add some elements from the indoors, such as vases or clocks, and some elements from the outdoors such as wood, stone or greenery. A vertical garden is a popular statement feature.
3. If your outdoor area doesn’t have walls there are a number of ways to add that feeling of comfy enclosure. If you have a ceiling or support work you can add a suspended sofa, spanning almost from the ceiling to the ground this provides a partial wall. You can also use tall pot plants as a way to add a more natural barrier.
4. In cooler climates add a fireplace or a throw blanket, and in warmer climates install a ceiling fan, to make for an even more liveable area.
5. For a warmer and more welcoming feel at night add fairy lights or candles. The light cast by these is inviting and peaceful.
6. Although they’re small, cushions can work wonders when used creatively. Match them to colours in the larger outdoor space – whether it be flowers in the garden or the slate of garden tiles.
7. Use a coffee table to add a centre point to the room, it’s also a useful place for flowers, books and throw blankets when they’re not being used.
8. And of course, make it comfortable – this is a place where you’ll want to spend a lot of time!
Take a look at some of our favourite outdoor spaces below…
Photos from our Pinterest page here.